Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Cat Who Made Me Love Cats


This is Cheyenne - aka Momma, circa 1995. Tom found her as a kitten and brought her home. When he moved out of his old apartment, he let his roommate keep her. The roommate moved on about six months later, and left Chey behind. He and my daughter Cassie went and rescued her, and brought her home to us. I still remember the first time I saw her. When I got home that evening, she was sitting in the window, behind the blinds. I parted the blinds, and was instantly in love. Shortly thereafter, Cheyenne gave birth to 4 kittens. Three of them died within the first week. The 4th is Tocchet.
Cheyenne had quite the personality. She was TOUGH. On more than one occasion she bit Captain, our dog, shown in the background. She was very vocal, and would scold me for hours every time I returned from a vacation. She had to have her own glass of water, on the kitchen counter. If it sat empty for too long, she would swat it off the counter, shattering the glass all over the floor, and we would have to come up with a new glass.
In her later years, Chey mellowed a bit, and became quite affectionate. She always laid in the crook of my arm when I watched TV at night.
In 2003 she developed tumors. Despite 2 surgeries, she went to the bridge on November 6, 2004.
Cheyenne made fall in love with cats and everthing about them. I will always be grateful.
Ann









2 comments:

DK & The Fluffies said...

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts ~DKM

Anonymous said...

she was a beautiful girl! our Lady knew a cat who made her fall in love with all cats too.